Pages

Monday, July 23, 2012

10 Questions with Cornell DeVille


Up next for Musaling Monday is the very creative Cornell Deville. His writing began in Mrs. Carmichael's third grade class. Cornell's first creation, Flipper the Fawn, was good. Very good. At least that's what Mrs. Carmichael said and he figured she should know. She was the teacher. At that very moment he decided to become a writer. Of course life insisted he detour through the world of corporate business before giving him the go ahead to write, but here he is now. I think Mrs. Carmichael was on to something.

1. First the easy one. Can you tell us a little bit about yourself?

 I am a child of the Baby Boomer Generation. I have vivid memories of the 50s and 60s. I love that nostalgic era and everything associated with it — you know, rock and roll, muscle cars, black and white television.


2. If you were a superhero, what would be your power?

 That’s easy. Invisibility. Being invisible allows you to know things, and see things, that others think are secret.


3. Would you wear a cape and tights? Describe your costume and give yourself a cool super name. 

No cape and tights for me. I would probably wear a teal leisure suit. My superhero name would be Antimatter Man.


4. Pimp it if you’ve got it. What’s new or next for you?

 Two things. First, the release of a Limited Edition print version of Cannibal Island. I’m looking forward to seeing that and giving some away on my blog. Second, well, I can’t talk about that yet.

*Interviewer note* Oh, a tease. I see how you are.

5. What evil villain would be your arch nemesis?

 The horrible and evil Deleto is my arch nemesis. He’s the guy who erases my computer files after I write the next chapter.


6. Would he have a cape and tights?

Yes he does. But he doesn’t wear them all the time. Sometimes he’s dressed just like a normal office worker. At night, when he does his dirty work, Deleto dons a black cape, and he keeps it over his face so that no one knows what he looks like.


7. What author or book influenced you the most as a writer?

A Journey to the Center of the Earth by Jules Verne was very influential for me. I read it when I was twelve or thirteen years old, and I loved it. Also, 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, was another one I enjoyed. I think both of those books may have been responsible for portions of Cannibal Island.


8. What was your favorite meal as a child? Do you still like it?

My favorite meal as a child was my dad’s fabulous barbecued ribs. I still love barbecued ribs, but they just don't taste the same as the ones my dad made.

9. Your arch nemesis has attacked your hometown, oh noes! You are in Marrakesh settling a zombie uprising. The fastest way to travel is this:



 Does your hometown die while waiting for you to hop a commercial flight?


 I don’t worry about commercial flights or any other type of transportation. In addition to my invisibility power, I can fly at supersonic speed. So my homies in Skullhaven are never in any danger.

**Interviewer note** Skullhaven is a lucky place. Except for the name.


10. Instead of truth or dare, we are just going to jump right to the rejection haiku. I enjoyed reading them so much that I’m making them a regular feature. Hey, rejection is one of the great universal commonalities as a writer. So, write us a rejection haiku. Please? (See that last part was a question. Sneaky, right?)
Your manuscript sucks
Please revise and send it to
Anyone but us


Nice! I suspect many magazines feel that way about me. Folks, you can find out more about the murky depths of Cornell's brain at his blog, or check out his website. You can snag your own copy of Lost in the Bayou or Cannibal Island at Amazon or the Musa Publishing Website. If you're brave enough to talk to Cornell in person, you can contact him at his Facebook page. Seriously, don't be scared. Just because he talks about danger and villians and all doesn't mean Cornell himself is someone to fear. Much.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment